What is the Ethics Committee?
The Dr Foster Ethics Committee is a company limited by guarantee, which is independent of Dr Foster Research.
Its role is to ensure that Dr Foster Research meets the standards set out in its Code of Conduct. In the event of a complaint, the committee reviews Dr Foster Research's published material and can adjudicate in any complaints or disputes.
The current membership of the independent Dr Foster Ethics Committee is as follows:
- Dr Andrew Vallance-Owen, Chairman, Former Group Medical Director, BUPA
- Professor Alan Maynard, Director, Health Policy Unit, York University and Chair, York Health Services NHS Trust
- Ms Helen Scott, Nurse at St Christopher’s Hospice, Freelance Journalist, former Editor, The British Journal of Nursing
- Dr Helena Earl, Consultant Oncologist, Addenbrooke's NHS Trust
- Mr Ian Lane DM FRCS, Former Medical Director, Cardiff and Vale NHS Trust
- Dame Jane Roberts, Director for Quality and Performance, Islington PCT
- Dr Patricia Wilkie, Consumer advocate with a scientific background
- Joanne Shaw, Chair, NHS Direct, Chairman Datapharm Communications
- Professor Nigel Sparrow , Chair of the Professional Development Board, Royal College of General Practitioners
- Dr James Kingsland OBE, Senior Partner in a Personal Medical Services Partnership in Wallasey, National Clinical Commissioning Network Lead for England
- Observer: Professor Barry McCormick, Department of Health
Ethics Committee ruling on the Dr Foster Complementary Therapists Guide 2004
The Committee announced its findings, following complaints by a number of professional organisations about the Dr Foster Complementary Therapists Guide 2004, on 1 June 2004. View full text
Contacting the Ethics Committee
The Ethics Committee is responsible for adjudicating on complaints that have not been resolved satisfactorily by Dr Foster Research. If you have a complaint about Dr Foster Research, please write to:The Secretary of the Ethics Committee Dr Foster Ethics Committee Limited 12 Smithfield Street London EC1A 9LA