I am a consultant urological surgeon with specialist interests in function, female, reconstructive urology and andrology. I have a significant practice treating incontinent men and women, male sexual and fertility problems, chronic pelvic pain, and male hypogonadism.
Hospital and Trust activities
Specialty Lead for Urological Surgery at Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Clinical Lead for urology in Infection Prevention and Control
Clinical Lead for urology and general surgery in Risk Management
Clinical Lead for urology for Service Development
Professional affiliations and memberships
- British Association of Urological Surgeons
- European Society of Sexual Medicine
- International Society of Sexual Medicine
- United Kingdom Continence Society
MD thesis on the physiology and pharmacology of human urinary tract smooth muscle.
Summary of recent publications
My research interests match my clinical practice insofar as I am interested in, and have published on, smooth muscle physiology relevant to the function of the lower urinary tract.
I also have a strong interest in surgical training and a number of publications related to that.
- Author(s): Bolton JF, Lemberger RJ, Neligan P, Eardley I, Title: National Selection and Recruitment into Urology: 2009, Journal: Br J Med Surg Urol, Volume: 2, Year: 2009, PageNo: 225-32
- Author(s): Bolton JF, Harrison SCW, Title: Neuromodulation 10 years on: how widely should we use this technique in bladder dysfunction? , Journal: Curr Opin Urol, Volume: 19, Year: 2009, PageNo: 375-9
- Author(s): Bolton JF, Whittlestone TH, Sibley GNA., Title: Comparisons of the responses of anterior and posterior human adult male bladder neck smooth muscle to stimulation., Journal: BJU International, Volume: 102, Year: 2008, PageNo: 1737-42
- Author(s): Vodovnik A, Rogawski K, Bolton JF, Title: Malignant solitary fibrous tumour of the prostate., Journal: Pathol Int, Volume: 55, Year: 2005, PageNo: 807-8
- Author(s): Bolton JF, Whittlestone TH, Sibley GNA., Title: An evaluation of laparoscopic tissue harvesting for human adult urological smooth muscle physiological experimentation., Journal: BJU International, Volume: 95, Year: 2005, PageNo: 442-4
- Author(s): Lewis DL, Bolton JF, Hebard S, Smith FCT, Baird R, Lamont PM. , Title: Risk factor documentation in elective and emergency vascular surgical admissions., Journal: Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg, Volume: 25, Year: 2003, PageNo: 568-72
- Author(s): Lee DA, Knight MM, Bolton JF, Idowu BD, Kayser MV, Bader DL, Title: Chondrocyte deformation within compressed agarose constructs at the cellular and sub-cellular levels., Journal: J Biomech, Volume: 33, Year: 2000, PageNo: 81-95
- Author(s): Bolton JF, Dooldeniya M, Title: What’s in a name: Training the Onco-Urologist, Journal: Oncology News, Volume: 4, Year: 2009, PageNo: 118-9
- Author(s): Bolton JF, Title: Trainee’s Corner – MMC: Danger or Opportunity?, Journal: BAUS Bulletin, Volume: 11, Year: 2007, PageNo: 14-15
- Other: Letter to the Editor, Journal of Urology:
Stewart A & Bolton JF (2007) “Re: Modifying urology residency training: time to speed up or slow down?” J Urol; 177(1): 406-7
- Other: Undergraduate research: BSc (First Class Hons), University of London, 1997
Evaluation of Surface Area in Strained and Unstrained Chondrocytes.
Original research conducted at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore.
- Other: Post-graduate research: MD, University of Bristol, 2006
Physiology and pharmacology of bladder neck and ureteric smooth muscle.
Research in smooth muscle agonism and the effects of ion channel modulation.