I am a specialist Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgeon working at the University Hospital of Wales where I perform the full range of foot and ankle surgery.
I qualifed as a medical doctor in the UK in 1995 after 5 years of training and then undertook 13 years of surgical and orthopaedic training and qualifications in the UK and South Africa. This was followed by long term specialist fellowship training in foot and ankle surgery in the USA and in Europe.
I am very focussed on the quality of care that we provide and I have a key role in assessing the standards of clinical care. In addition to this I am passionate about advancing care and am heavily involved in research and education. I have received national awards for this work (two first prizes and two second prizes between 2008 and 2011).
A particular interest is in bunion surgery and I have been involved in pioneering the use of minimally invasive techniques so that this can be done keyhole. I also have a busy foot and ankle sports surgery practice specialising in ankle arthroscopy, ligament reconstruction and in advanced cartilage repair techniques. I receive referrals from other specialists for complex reconstructions, revisions and ankle replacements.
Professional affiliations and memberships
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- Asian Pacfic Foot and Ankle Society
- British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
Keyhole (Minimally Invasive Bunion Surgery)
Complex bunion surgery
Ankle sports injuries- cartilage and ligament
Audit / Outcomes
Outcomes routinely recorded:
Patient assessed outcome measures
- SF36 or other Short Form measure : No
- HRQOL : No
- Locally produced questionnaire : Yes
- (Please specify) : appropriate to condition
- Peri-operative infection rate : Yes
- Late infection rate : Yes
- Peri-operative : Yes
- 30 day : Yes
- Longer term : Yes
- Time period : recorded on database
- Complication rates : Yes
- Details : all complications are recorded and stored with regular review and analysis
- Data recorded for all patients or only summary statistics?
- Information held electronically or on paper? : Electronic
- Data benchmarked against other surgeons or centres using the same methodology? : Yes
- Data regularly reviewed or analysed by department?