Professional affiliations and memberships
- Royal College of Physicians
- British Cardiac Society
- British Society for Cardiovascular Intervention
- Fellow of European Society of Cardiology
My research was carried out under the supervision of Professor Patrick Serruys, and was based on the SYNTAX score and its application to ‘real-world’ practice. In addition, I looked into modifications to the SYNTAX score to try and improve its ability to predict risk. I was also involved in research relating to new coronary stent technology – which was centred on stents with biodegradable polymers and completely biodegradable stents. In April 2011 I successfully defended my thesis, “Risk stratification in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary Intervention,” and was awarded a PhD with a cum laude judicium from Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
Summary of recent publications
My research work has culminated in the publication of over 75 papers in peer reviewed cardiology journals and several books chapters. The main focus of my work has been coronary stents and risk stratification in patients having PCI.
- Author(s): Scot Garg, Lorenz Raber, Patrick Serruys, Stephan Windecker, Title: PCR-EAPCI Textbook of Percutaneous Interventional Cardiovascular Medicine - Coronary Stents, Year: 2012, Publisher: Europa
- Author(s): Scot Garg, Michael Magro, Patrick Serruys, Title: Comprehensive Biomaterials- Drug eluting stents, Year: 2011, Publisher: Elsevier
- Author(s): Scot Garg, David Holmes, Title: PCR-EAPCI Textbook of Percutaneous Interventional Cardiovascular Medicine - Risk stratification and risk models in revascularisation, Year: 2012, Publisher: Europa
- Author(s): Cunnington C, Garg S, Balachandran KP, Title: Seizure-associated takotsubo cardiomyopathy presenting with unheralded ventricular fibrillation.Seizure-associated takotsubo cardiomyopathy presenting with unheralded ventricular fibrillation., Journal: Int J Cardiol., Year: 2012, PageNo: June 14
- Author(s): Dominici M, Diletti R, Milici C, Bock C, Garg S, De Paolis M, Ambrosio G, Boschetti E, Title: Left radial versus right radial approach for coronary artery catheterization: a prospective comparison., Journal: J Interv Cardiol. , Volume: 25, Year: 2012, PageNo: 203-209
- Author(s): Gomez-Lara J, Heo JH, Brugaletta S, Garg S, Garcia-Garcia HM, van Geuns RJ, Silber S, Windecker S, Serruys PW., Title: Risk of target lesion failure in relationship to vessel angiographic geometry and stent conformability using the second generation of drug-eluting stents., Journal: Am Heart J., Volume: 162, Year: 2011, PageNo: 1069-1079
- Author(s): Vranckx P, Boersma E, Garg S, Valgimigli M, Van Es GA, Goedhart D, Serruys PW., Title: Cardiovascular risk profile of patients included in stent trials; a pooled analysis of individual patient data from randomised clinical trials: insights from 33 prospective stent trials in Europe., Journal: EuroIntervention, Volume: 7, Year: 2011, PageNo: 859-871