Interests: Patch testing, skin surgery, general dermatology.
I am a Consultant Dermatologist with an interest in contact dermatitis/occupational dermatology at a major teaching hospital centre.
I have had wide experience in contact dermatitis, and have enhanced this in the early years of my consultant job by attachments to other centres of excellence in contact dermatitis including San Francisco, USA, Manchester and Birmingham, UK.
I have established the Contact Dermatitis service in Cardiff as having regional and national recognition as a tertiary referral centre offering occupational latex allergy screening and photopatch testing.
I have undertaken original research in numerous clinical areas including contact dermatitis, latex allergy and occupational dermatoses and will continue to initiate and supervise trainee research projects in various areas of dermatology.
I am in a major teaching hospital to continue teaching dermatology to paramedical staff, medical students and postgraduate doctors at all levels.
Hospital and Trust activities
Contact Dermatitis Clinic: 3 sessions per week
General Dermatology Clinic: 2 sessions per week
Theatre list: 1 session per week
Management of in-patients on general wards with 1 weekly ward round
On call duties
24 hour cover on a 1 in 6 weekly rota
Other contributions to the NHS
Treasurer, British Society for Cutaneous Allergy (BSCA) 2007-
Committee Member (Wales), BSCA 2004-
Medical Secretary, Dermatology Specialty Certificate Exam (SCE) 2011-
Member, Dermatology SCE Board 2009-
Member, Dermatology SCE Standard Setting Board 2009-
Member, UK e-portfolio Advisory Group, JRCPTB 2009-
Chairman South Wales Contact Dermatitis Group 2001-
Member, Dermatology Specialty Advisory Committee 2007-2011
Chairman, Wales Specialist Registrar Training Scheme 2009-2011
Programme Director, Wales Specialist Registrar Training Scheme 2002-2010
Clinical Governance/Audit Dermatology Lead and Medicine Service Group representative (2001-2004)
South East Wales Representative, Welsh Dermatology Council (2004-2005)
Examiner for Undergraduate and Postgraduate (MD, DDSc and DPD) Examinations
MSc Project Supervisor (Cardiff University)
Professional affiliations and memberships
- Treasurer, British Society for Cutaneous Allergy (BSCA) 2007-
- Medical Secretary, Dermatology Specialty Certificate Exam (SCE) 2011-
- Member, Dermatology SCE Standard Setting Board 2009-
- British Association of Dermatologists
- Faculty Medical Leadership and Management
Summary of recent publications
- Author(s): 1) Chowdhury MMU, Maibach HI , Title: Latex Intolerance: Basic Science, Epidemiology and Clinical Management., Year: 2005, Publisher: CRC Press
- Author(s): 2) Finlay AY, Chowdhury MMU , Title: Specialist Training in Dermatology, Year: 2007, Publisher: Elsevier
- Author(s): 3) Chowdhury MMU, Katugampola RK, Finlay AY, Title: Dermatology at a Glance, Year: 2012, Publisher: Wiley Blackwell
- Author(s): Basra MKA, Chowdhury MMU, Smith EV, Freemantle N, Piguet V, Title: A review of the use of the Dermatology Life Quality Index as a criterion in clinical guidelines and health technology assessments in psoriasis and chronic hand eczema., Journal: Dermatol Clin , Volume: 30, Year: 2012, PageNo: 237-44
Football, Gym/fitness training
Tennis, motor racing
Travel and current affairs
My interests reflect my ability to contribute as team-leader and individual which have helped to develop confidence, stamina, fitness and self-discipline.
I have travelled widely and this has helped me to appreciate and understand various cultures and viewpoints.
Personal web links