- Medical School: University of Madras
- Qualification: MB BS
- Date of award: 1989
- Professional College: Royal College of Physicians of London
- Qualification: FRCP - Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
- Date of award: 2007
- Professional College: Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
- Qualification: FRCP(Ed) - Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
- Date of award: 2012
- Other degree or qualification: University of Rajasthan
- Qualification: MD - Doctor of Medicine
- Date of award: 1994
- Other degree or qualification: Newcastle University
- Qualification: CertMed Ed
- Date of award: 2002
Awards and Prizes
Finalist. National Training Award 2010, under the Auspices of the Department of Business, Skills and Innovation.
First Price. NHS Innovation North Awards 2012. Innovation in Training and Education
I was appointed to the James Cook University Hospital as a Consultant Respiratory Physician in 2004. In May 2012, I moved to Scotland to take up my appointment as Consultant Respiratory Physician at the University Hospital Ayr, NHS Ayrshire and Arran.
I have special interest in Pleural Diseases, asthma and Industrial Lung Diseases, such as Mesothelioma and Asbestosis.
Since 2005, I have organised formal training in Chest Ultrasound Skills for other Respiratory Physicians around the UK and abroad. I was awarded the NHS Innovations North awards in 2012 for setting up my training course and then developing it further for on-line delivery.
I am currently working towards establishing a robust day case pleural service in Ayr that would serve the whole of Ayrshire and that would facilitate OP closer-to-home care for patients with malignant pleural effusions, by working closely and seamlessly with primary care teams.
The first Ayr Chest Ultrasound training course will be on March 8, 2013.
Other contributions to the NHS
Education. Since 2005, the faculty of the chest ultrasound course I organise have trained more than 300 clinicians from across the UK and abroad in Basic Thoracic Ultrasound Skills I was nominated to the Finals of the National Training Awards in 2010 in recognition of this
Professional affiliations and memberships
- British Thoracic Society
European Thoracic Society
American College of Chest Physicians
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (London)
Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh)
Multi-disciplinary outpatient management systems for acute respiratory admissions
in particular Venous Thrombo-Embolism
Summary of recent publications
- Author(s): Anur Guhan & John MacFarlane, Title: Infectious Diseases, Chapter: When to us, Year: 2004, Publisher: Armstrong/Mosby
- Author(s): DaviesHE, MishraEK, KahaBC, WrightsonJM,StantonAE, GuhanAR et al., Title: Effect of an Indwelling Pleural Catheter vs chest tube and talc pleurodesis in relieving dyspnoea in patients with malignant pleural effusions , Journal: JAMA, Volume: 307, Year: 2012, PageNo: 2383-2389
- Author(s): David C G Sainsbury; Gareth Kessell; Andrew J Fall; Fiona J Hampton; Anur Guhan; Tobian Muir, Title: Intralesional bleomycin injection treatment for vascular birthmarks: a 5-year experience at a single United kingdom unit., Journal: Plastic and reconstructive surgery, Volume: 127, Year: 2011, PageNo: 2031-2044
- Author(s): Anur Guhan, Stefan Kluzek, Geoff Naisby, Title: P1554 Chest physicians training to perform their own chest ultrasounds on patients with pleural diseases: Lessons learnt from the experience of delegates to the Basic Thoracic Ultrasound Skills for Chest Physicians course (2005 to 2009), Journal: European Respiratory Journal, Year: 2010, PageNo: 45
Audit / Outcomes
Outcomes routinely recorded:
Patient assessed outcome measures